The curtain has fallen on 2019’s first wave of Bollywood award shows, and to celebrate this starry occasion, Masala is crowning all the crimes of fashion.
1. After her recent film, Kalank, received harsh criticism, Sonakshi Sinha opened up about her ‘bad luck’ with movie choices, but it seems her fashion decisions are cursed as well. At the 64th Filmfare Awards, the actress wore a sequinned blue and white striped ensemble by Dhruv Kapoor, and as much as I love suits, only Bozo the Clown could pull off something this wacky. And just when you think this outfit can’t get any worse, soon after Sonakshi’s appearance, model Sobhita Dhulipala walked the red carpet in what can only be described as the preteen version of this already bad two-piece. Yikes!
2. Like many of his fans, I have a love-hate relationship with Ranveer Singh’s sartorial selections, which are often overdone but always memorable. However, I’ve got no good things to say about the 70s-inspired outfit he donned for this year’s GQ Style and Culture Awards that made him appear like a weird, distant relative you avoid at family get-togethers. Next!
3. Things got lost in translation for Kiara Advani, who showed up to the HT Most Stylish Awards — keyword being STYLISH — in this disaster. The actress wore a fuchsia ruffled organza halter blouse, paired with ombré sequinned trousers from Shehlaa by Shehla Khan’s spring collection. Despite wearing a designer creation, she looks like she was rushing out of the house and got tangled in some used fabric.
4. It’s ironic that Diljit Dosanjh won an accolade for the Most Stylish Musician of the Year at the 64th Filmfare Awards in this disastrous combination of yellow electrician-inspired sweatpants, a baggy grey sweatshirt with the words ‘I Feel Ghosts,’ and a metal collar -cumnecklace. I’m not sure what Diljit is trying to say with this look (possibly the world’s worst reference to The Sixth Sense (1999) ever), but this outfit will definitely haunt him in the future.
5. Radhika Apte attended the HT Most Stylish Awards in a strapless couture gown by Gaurav Gupta. The mustard yellow hue was great against her skin, but the dress was too voluminous, and drowned her under layers and layers…and more layers of ruffles. P.S. Take my advice and avoid looking at her gown for too long, because the swirls will give you motion sickness.
6. On his chat show, Karan Johar once told Neha Dhupia that she needs to stop dressing like a two-bedroom house all the time, and we think Neha finally took his advice at the Critics’ Choice Film Awards. Instead of arriving in a house-inspired get-up, she changed things up by emulating a tipi (coneshaped tent), thanks to this mismatched long-line black blouse from Chola the Label, and black jacket and skirt combo from Shantanu & Nikhil.
7. We understand the desire to dress in an outfit that makes you feel like Queen Bee, but Anushka Sharma didn’t have to take it so literally at the GQ Style and Culture Awards. Here she wore a honeycomb-looking power suit, complete with pointy shoulder pads by Dice Kayek. I’ve got one thing — and only one thing — to say: that this look just isn’t meant to bee.