Live, laugh, loaf with these treats!
By Aiden Jewelle Gonzales
“I loved baking with my mum and her friends when I was younger,” Namrata ‘Mann’ Singh tells me. “I used to watch cooking shows and YouTube channels and try the recipes of various bakers. Even back then, my mum already loved making bread for us every now and then.
“We started Mad Batter (@madbatter.bkk) during the first lockdown. It was after many failed attempts that we found some recipes that were worth selling. It started with just our neighbours and now our name is known amongst many Indians across Bangkok. Our speciality is that we bring flavours from different countries into our baking.
“Our breads have an Indian feel to them; our cookies are New York- inspired; we use some spices that are commonly used in the Middle East; and we also offer Italian-style pizzas, etc. We stick to both salty and sweet flavours, and our breads are a great savoury treat that go well with our desserts.
“For those wanting to start a food-based home business, learn your audience and what they want. Set out rules and positions from the start to avoid any mishaps or arguments. Enjoy what you do, and give it your all!”
PREP TIME: 2 HOURS
COOK TIME: 15 MINUTES
SERVING: 2 TWIST BREADS
• 300g bread flour
• 110g water
• 90g milk
• 1 1/4 tsp yeast
• 1 tsp sugar
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 tbsp butter
• 2 tbsp pesto or any other topping
- Warm the water and milk for 15-20 seconds in the microwave
- Add the yeast and sugar into the warm mixture and let it sit for a couple of minutes till the yeast blooms
- In a separate bowl, measure out the flour with salt
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture
- Knead into dough
- Add butter to soften the dough, and shape it into a ball
- Cover the bowl and let it rest and rise for an hour in a warm place
- Once risen, divide into two and twist the two halves together
- Add the pesto or any other topping
- Let rise for 30 mins
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Bake for 15-20 mins till golden brown, and enjoy!
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES
• 50g whipping cream
• 250g milk
• 10g cocoa powder
• 20g sugar
• 10g corn starch
• 50g of chocolate
- Measure out all the ingredients into a saucepan
- Cook them on low heat until the mixture thickens
- Sieve into a separate bowl
- Let it cool down and serve