The much-awaited 19th edition of the IIFA Awards brought some of our favourite Bollywood celebrities to our home city for a weekend of glamour and glitz. It was a star-studded three-day affair with numerous wow moments. Masala picks our top six favourites from the main event of IIFA Awards 2018.
1. 63-year-old evergreen actress Rekha put an end to her 20-year hiatus from the IIFA stage with an ethereal performance of her top hits. When she danced to her classic songs “Salam-E-Ishq” and “In Aankhon Ki Masti”, she was grace personified. Her poise and charisma left the audience awestruck. The rest of Bollywood also treasured this iconic moment — a few of them even got on stage to shake a leg with her following a standing ovation.
2. Legend Sridevi Kapoor was posthumously awarded the Best Actor in a Leading Role (Female) for her stellar performance in Mom (2017). It was a sentimental moment for the late actor’s husband, Boney Kapoor, as he accepted the honour on her behalf while tears rolled down his face. Son Arjun Kapoor and brother Anil Kapoor, with tears in their eyes, comforted him on stage.
3. Veteran actor Anupam Kher, who has been featured in over 500 movies, was honoured with the Outstanding Achievement in Indian Cinema award for his immense contribution to the industry. Long-time friend and fellow actor Anil Kapoor presented the award with tears in his eyes. Anupam dedicated this award to his mother and all those in the industry who don’t have godfathers.
4. Meher Vij, the Secret Superstar (2017) mom, bagged the Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Female) award for her outstanding execution of such a heavy role. What captured everyone’s attention was her candid and completely unscripted speech. The audience, as well as the actors, were stunned by how real and rare a moment like this was for an award show.
5. Karan Johar, host for the night along with Riteish Deshmukh, was joined on stage by a few other B-Town stars for a mini on-stage Sangeet celebration. The actors had a blast singing the famous Punjabi “Boli,” followed by a mesmerising dance by KJo himself on his K3G (2001) hit, “Shava Shava”.
6. Sanju (2018) actor Ranbir Kapoor set the stage on fire as he delivered a power-packed performance of some of his best songs. The heartthrob of Bollywood made a hardcore entry from above the audience, clad in a leather jacket with a guitar in hand. He danced to a number of hit songs, including “Balam Pichkari” and “Channa Mereya”, outlining his time in the industry.
IIFA Awards 2018 will be telecasted on Colors TV in July.
Date has yet to be confirmed.