Pack it Up!
By Shradha Aswani
Travelling can be one of life’s greatest joys. There’s nothing quite like the thrill of exploring new destinations, experiencing new cultures, and making unforgettable memories with loved ones. However, as much as we all love to travel, there’s no denying that planning can sometimes be overwhelming. From figuring out the logistics of transportation and accommodation to crafting the perfect itinerary, the process of organising a trip can quickly become daunting.
As someone who appreciates the excitement of travel but dislikes the act of putting a trip together, I thought it would be fun to put together a list of the best hacks from OG travel freaks around me along with the apps they swear by. Read on to know what I found.
HACKS & TIPS
- Book tickets mindfully: A lot of frequent travelers claim that they have saved a lot of money by booking tickets in the language of the place you are travelling to. Also, booking websites track IPs and apply dynamic pricing so if you conduct the same search more than once from the same IP, the price will increase.
- Choose the right airport: When booking your flights, consider flying in or out of smaller airports, which can often offer cheaper flights and less hassle.
- Space it out: Plan out your itinerary in advance, but don’t over-plan. Leave some room for spontaneity and unexpected adventures.
- Plan your shots: If are the kind who travels for the gram, it might help to do some research and plan which locations you want to photograph and at what times of day to capture the best lighting.
- Keep important documents in a safe place: Make copies of your passport, travel insurance, and other important
documents and keep them in a separate location from the originals. You can also scan them and save them in a secure cloud storage app.
- Carry a power bank or a charging strip: A portable charger can be a lifesaver when your phone or other devices run out of battery while you’re on the go. Just remember to pack it in your hand-carry bags. Alternatively, you can bring an extension cord to be able to charge all your devices at once.
- Roll your clothes and pack according to the weather: Rolling your clothes instead of folding them can save space in your luggage and help prevent wrinkles. Also, do check the weather forecast of a place so that you are prepared for what to expect.
- Bring snacks and a water bottle: Having a few MAMA packs or chocolates/biscuits can come in as comfort when you are away from home. Instead of buying bottled water, bring an empty water bottle and fill it up at water fountains or cafes. These can save you money, reduce waste, and prevent hunger pangs while you’re out exploring.
WHILE ON THE TRIP
- Tape it: Put duck-tap all expensive electronics, cameras, laptop, or even your luggage. If it looks broken, no one wants to steal it.
- Use local translation apps: They work better than Google translation and allow you to get the dialects that are specific to the area you are in.
- Download offline maps: Download maps of the places you’ll be visiting before your trip so you can use them offline to navigate without using data or Wi-Fi.
- Be flexible: Things don’t always go according to plan when you’re traveling, so try to be flexible and go with the flow. Embrace unexpected adventures and be open to new experiences.
Moovit: A public transportation app that provides real-time information and trip planning for buses, trains, and other forms of transit in over 3,000 cities worldwide.
Splitwise: Helps with tracking and splitting expenses with friends and family during group trips or outings, making it easy to settle up and avoid any awkwardness.
TripCase: An all-in-one travel app that helps you organize your itinerary, keep track of flight details, and receive alerts about any changes or delays in your travel plans.
PackPoint: Aids you in creating packing lists based on your destination, trip length, and planned activities.
XE Currency: Allows you to keeping track of exchange rates and lets you make currency conversions accurately.
Hopper: Analyzes flight prices and predicts future price changes, helping you find the best time to book your flights.
LoungeBuddy: Lets you find and book airport lounges worldwide, making your travel experience more comfortable and enjoyable.